Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Review: 5 Star Burgers - Albuquerque, New Mexico


This past Monday was Columbus Day. M and I both had the day off, and it was such a nice day! For lunch we went to the new Rt. 66 Malt Shop on Central only to find it closed...Sooo, instead we went to 5 Star Burgers on Wyoming and Academy. This hamburger spot was recently mentioned in USA Today's 51 Great Burgers list. Currently there are two 5 Star Burger restaurants; one here in Abq and the other in Taos. When looking at the prices, here are some things to remember about this place (they are pretty pricey):
  • there beef is All Natural, hormone and antibiotic free Black Angus, ground fresh every day at Five Star
  • No Trans Fats, anywhere
  • Continually source products from New Mexico
  • Recycled and biodegradable paper products
  • Drink cups are made from recycled plastic
  • Carry out containers are made from 100% recycled paper
  • Energy efficient equipment
  • Frying oils recycled for bio diesel fuel
Business was pretty good for a Monday afternoon. As I perused the menu, I was also eyeballing other people's burgers (M hates it when I do that, but I think it's a perfectly fine way to figure out what to get). I decided on the green chile cheese burger with Pepper Jack cheese and Green Chile mayo, and M chose the  5 Star Burger with Gorgonzola cheese and Applewood Smoked bacon. They'll cook your burger how you'd like it as well.

The burgers were really really tasty, and juicy! At some places when you order a burger well done it's served so dry. Having this one that was so juicy was a pleasant surprise. One thing that disappointed me were the fries. First they are not included with your burger, and when you're shelling out over $8 for one burger this is pretty disappointing. Second, we ordered some to split and they are not as generous of a portion as the burger and they weren't anything special.


I do like that they have a burger of the month, and if you follow them on twitter you can also find other deals. Today they were offering 10% off meals for APS teachers or maybe that's all the time. Not sure.

I'm posting the menu for you all to check out. What do you think, am I being a cheapskate?

Five Star Burgers on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. El and I really enjoyed the burgers and will probably go back if we happen to be in the area but I couldn’t agree more when it comes to the amount of fries they give you! $8 burger = mound of fries, in theory right!?!? That's simple math! And for the record I don't hate it when El looks at the next table's order...I do it too El! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails