Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 5: Snack, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

These pics are from yesterday. I was all over the pace! In celebration of my boy T-Roy winning the office NCAA bracket (I came in second), we decided to have a wings luncheon. I brought in some cookies, and chips too and at lunch we picked up wings from Wing Stop. They're alright, not the best but the store is pretty close to the base.

I started the morning with an oatmeal raisin cookie, and a little later enjoyed my usual yogurt and 2 Cuties. For lunch, I had original hot wings, some ruffles, and some carrot and celery sticks.

After work, I went to my first Zumba class. It's a high impact Latin aerobics class that is so much fun! I've been wanting to go for awhile, but haven't had the energy. When I got home, I was so tired and hungry and the thought of cooking was the last thing on my mind. After sitting there for about a half an hour I decided to get up, and cook. So I came up with the shrimp pasta dish above. I altered a Barefoot Contessa recipe to use what I had at home. It was SO good that I had to get seconds! There was even enough leftover to freeze for another time. Here's the original recipe:

Ingredients

  • Vegetable oil
  • Kosher salt
  • 3/4 pound linguine
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
  • 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 lemon, zest grated
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

Directions

Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.

Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails