Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 3: Breakfast


I love breakfast, but I hate eating out for breakfast. With the exception of breakfast burritos, I feel that  I can make a better breakfast at home and SO much cheaper. Last weekend my boyfriend and I went out on Saturday morning and it was nearly $30 for breakfast, drinks, and tip. It's ridicules! So during the week, I like to eat light and on the weekends I usually splurge. This morning, I copied a local favorite by making a bowl of papas. It's so easy and really really delicious! Papas is a bowl of pan fried potatoes or hash browns, topped with bacon or sausage, chile, cheese, and an egg.

I usually have a hard time with the potatoes because I like them really crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. Today, I tried a little trick that made them come out perfect. I chopped up about 5 small to medium sized potatoes, and put them in the microwave for 5 min, and then I put them in a hot frying pan. I used enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom and sides on the pan, and seasoned the potatoes with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. Once in the pan, I stirred them up really well to get each slice of potato with oil and spice. I cooked them for about 15 - 20 min, keeping the constantly stirred. What I got in the end was a golden, crispy goodness that was so delicious! I topped with bacon, green chile, cheese, and a fried egg. I like my eggs over medium, but I accidentally over cooked it. Surprise. I'll probably be stuffed until dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails