Friday, September 10, 2010

Review: Olympia Cafe - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Calamari
Gyro Platter
Chicken Souvlaki Platter

oh Olympia's, you have captured my heart with your tantalizing meats and generous portions. If you love Greek food and haven't been here you are really missing something special. I imagine that this is the type of Greek restaurant that you would find in New York or Chicago.

The outside of the restaurant is painted in the traditional white and blue colors of Greece. The inside is small, but quaint. You order before you sit and grab your food when your number is called; be sure to have your ticket handy. No ticket, no food. I prefer to sit in a booth; they line a nice row of windows and it's always fun to watch the people walking by.

I have been frequenting Olympia's for years, but M had never been. I think I had been "saving" it for when I knew he was ready. M is very food adventurous and loves to try new things, but I was worried that he may not appreciate this place as much as I do. Last Friday, he was ready. Well, maybe he wasn't but after trying to think of what to eat I decided that this is what I wanted and he agreed.

M ordered the Gyro platter, and I had the Chicken Souvlaki platter. Thinking it would come ahead of time, we also ordered some calamari. In hindsight, it was a bad move considering how much food we got and it all came out together. PLUS, menu items are not on the cheap side. Compared to other places in town, it's pretty pricey but so worth it.

Both meals had Gyro meat, and it was moist and flavorful, so much so that M couldn't get enough. We each got a Greek salad, tzatziki sauce, pita, and rice too. The salad was the perfect sized accompaniment and the rice was moist, slightly lemony and delicious!

Olympia Cafe is so good! I totally recommend it. My only complaint is that it's pretty pricey. The two of us ate for $35.

Olympia Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Your photos and reviews totally make me want to try these places out! Keep up the great work Elva!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails