Friday, September 3, 2010

Recipe: Lazy Girl Enchiladas

Just out of the oven


As a proud New Mexican, I often crave green chile and I love it smothered over just about everything.  People here eat it over apple pie, in ice cream, on burgers, french fries, beef jerky, and I could go on and on and on. It’s an insane addiction, and you can find it all over the state not just in one area. I have never met one person that didn’t like it.
My hands down favorite Green Chile dish is chicken enchiladas. I love to make them in the most traditional ways, but sometimes I’m just too lazy. You all know what an undertaking it is…boiling a chicken, shredding cheese, roasting green chiles, stuffing and rolling, etc. (Ok, ok - I buy the pre shredded stuff and usually use a jarred LOCAL sauce). Anyway this is a simple, yet delicious way to get your enchilada crave on in half the time!  
I made these on Friday of last week. I had enough to share with my parents, share with M, and there were enough to freeze. M loved them by the way. He took them back to Alamo with him and had them for lunch on a crazy hectic day when he got back. I got an email from him that said this: The only good thing to happen today was having your chicken enchiladas for lunch…they were awesome!  You couldn’t even tell they were lazy style!  This made my little heart do a huge leap!
Ingredients
  • One grocery store pre-made rotisserie chicken
  • 8 oz. bag of Colby shredded cheese
  • 12 pk of corn tortillas (yellow or white)
  • 2/16 oz jars of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (make sure it’s sauce and not chopped) (I prefer Santa Fe brand. This stuff is amazing. 505 is my second favorite)(If you are not in NM, I don’t what you can use. We are very very lucky here)
Equipment
8x8 baking dish

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  

Shred chicken meat off of bones. Throw away skin and bones. Cut stack of tortillas in half. Layer the bottom of ungreased pan with tortilla halves (Face the straight edge on tortillas to the straight edge of pan). You will use about 5 halves per layer. Next add a healthy portion of chicken, cheese, and sauce. You should have enough ingredients to make at least 3 layers, and one final layer of tortillas only. Cover the top layer with the rest of the cheese, and sauce.

Cover with foil, and bake for 30 min. Let stand for 5 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails