Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Fried Rice

I need a wok! I am especially convinced of this now that I've become obsessed with fried rice. My attempts have some out pretty good and edible at least, but I am convinced I wont obtain perfection until I have a wok in my hot little hands. I put one on my Christmas list, so hopefully someone got me one!

One complaint that I have about fried rice in restaurants, is that they are pretty skimpy on the meat. I wanted to make sure that I had plenty in mine...

I found this recipe, and have made it a few times now and it is really easy and fast! I did change it up a little by adding some mixed vegetables. This recipe makes a huge amount! I cut the recipe in half when I make it now and it is enough for a meal and leftovers, which is awesome. Oh, one other thing to note: Use a LARGE skillet if you don't have a wok. My skillet wasn't large enough and I didn't get the maximum fried goodness that I wanted, and I made a huge mess when I was trying to stir everything.... I hope that you enjoy it! 

Ingredients
3 large eggs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips (really thin, I cut into chucks the first time, and it was too much)
1 cup of mixed veggies (I used a frozen corn, carrot, green bean mixture)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 cups cold, cooked rice
6 green (spring) onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish, optional
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Directions
Beat eggs with a whisk in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat very little oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and make an omelet using half the beaten eggs. Turn out onto a plate to cool (do not fold omelet). Repeat process with remaining beaten eggs. Place 1 omelet on top of the other, fold and coarsely chop. Set aside. 

In a medium bowl, toss chicken strips with the sesame oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat in large frying pan or wok and stir-fry the prepared chicken strips until lightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion has softened. 

Add 2 tablespoons more vegetable oil and when hot, stir in the cooked rice, green onions, and mixed vegetables* tossing and mixing thoroughly until very hot. Sprinkle with soy sauce and mix evenly. Remove from heat and stir in chopped cooked egg. If desired, garnish with additional sliced green onions.
Final Product...so delicious!
Mistake: Do not add frozen veggies to chicken! Cook them separately and drain water!
*The first time I made this I put the frozen veggies in with the chicken, and found this to be a huge mistake. I would recommend that you cook separately until defrosted, drain water out, and then add to rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails