Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Review: Rt. 66 Malt Shop and Grill - Albuquerque, New Mexico

After reading a lot of reviews, I was a bit skeptical about having lunch at the Rt. 66 Malt Shop and Grill. I have to see things to believe them though, so when M suggested taking our chances I was all for it. The restaurant is very cooly decorated with pieces from the 50's. They have old fashioned diner tables and booths, a checkerboard floor, and a great jute box.

We we greeted promptly and seated right away, but the wait service was slow...and it seemed as though the waitstaff was unorganized or even confused. The restaurant was full, and there was only one cook. It took a long time to place our order and even longer to get our food.


 
I ordered a bacon green chile cheeseburger and M ordered a bacon cheeseburger. I also ordered a frito pie...just because I wanted to try it. We both ordered a side of hand cut fries too. I was regretting not ordering anything from the soda fountain, but when I saw the table beside us get their soda fountain orders 20 min. after they placed their order my regret went away.

I thought that my burger was pretty good. It was a nice size. The patty was obviously hand made and was juicy and flavorful. The green chile had a little kick, but wasn't too spicy. The bacon was plentiful and crispy. M said that his burger was "meh..." even though he ate the whole thing (sorry honey). The fries were pretty good too; a little greasy. It didn't seem like they were seasoned with parmesan cheese like their menu said. The frito pie was delicious, and my favorite part of the meal. It was huge, and had a ton of frito's. It had a New Mexico style red chile that the waiter tried to talk me out of. I thought it was very flavorful, and not to spicy.

I don't know if I'd make a conscience decision to go back to the Rt. 66 Malt Shop, but if I was with someone who wanted to go...I'd go back. It wasn't that the food wasn't good, it was that the service was chaotic and it took forever to get our order. The prices were decent too.

Check it out and tell me what you think...

Route 66 Malt Shop & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails