Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: Guava Tree Cafe - Albuquerque, New Mexico

After tasting the flavors at Havana Restaurant, we here at the lunch club have been mildly obsessed with Cuban sandwiches. So when I found Guava Tree Cafe on UrbanSpoon, there was no way I was going to pass it up. 

Walking into the Guava Tree gave me a feeling of what I imagine walking into a sandwich shop in Miami would feel like. The brightly colored restaurant is small, yet quaint. The menu was written on a chalkboard. Be forewarned there are only a couple of people working here, including the chef, therefore the service, while friendly, may be slow. It certainly was on the day that Meredith and I visited and we were kind of shocked as there were only a few other patrons. We decided to bask in the unusually warm day and we sat outside. 
For starters we both ordered a cup the Ajiaco, which is traditional Colombian Chicken, Corn and Potato chowder, with authentic guasca herbs and served with side cream, capers, avocado and shredded chicken. The saltiness of the capers and the oily texture of the avocado are, in my opinion, what make the chowder so great. A definite must try.  The serving size was just enough to wet our appetite. 
Meredith bit right into her sandwich when it appeared at the table; I don't blame her. She ordered the Cuban, and was not disappointed by the suckling pork that was encompassed by pressed flat bread. The Swiss cheese was melted fabulously into each and every crevasse.
I ordered the el Guava Pollito sandwich with shredded Chicken Breast, Swiss Cheese, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, Greens and Tomatoes. I'd have to say I like Meredith's sandwich better than my own, but it was still pretty tasty.

I ordered Chuck a Arepa Pabellon with shredded beef with black beans, sweet plantains and fresco cheese, wrapped in an arepa to go. I didn't get a picture, but he said that it was pretty good. 

The prices are reasonable, the service is good, and the food is good. I'd recommend this restaurant, so go check it out!

Guava Tree Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. The Cubano is the best that I've had anyplace, including Miami, where it was invented for cigar rollers. See my Urbanspoon review of Guava Tree Cafe, a great little spot near the UNM.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails