Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Recipe: Hoe Cakes


I found this recipe on CNN Eatocracy Blog today. I can't wait to try it out!

My dad used to make these for use when we were kids. He's from the backhiills of Tennessee, and when we were little (not so much now), he used to whip up some of his old southern favorites. Poor guy, he's still on a quest to find the perfect biscuit and cornbread recipes.

Hoe Cakes
Makes about 30 cakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, lightly whipped
1 egg yolk, whipped with the whole eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons lard (or bacon fat), melted
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup roasted corn kernels
4 tablespoons red onion, minced
salt and black pepper, to taste
Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, lard and butter until fully combined. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ones until fully combined. Blend in corn and onion and combine well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cook cakes two tablespoons at a time in melted butter in a cast iron skillet. Brown on one side and flip to finish - like pancakes.

*Photo from Vegan Crunk (so I doubt there is lard or bacon fat in these ones). I will post my pictures once I actually make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails